For many couples, their home is their single most valuable asset. How you decide to handle the division of this asset will have a profound impact on the rest of your life. A competent Realtor® is a critical member of your professional support team.
Selling a house can be quite emotional and difficult for even the happiest of married couples. For those going through a divorce, the process can be excrutiating. If you have to sell your home because of a divorce, try to keep those emotions in check. Easier said than done, but there’s so much at stake! You could easily end up making a very costly mistake that you’ll regret later on.
- Do whatever you have to do to put that hurt, resentment, hate, fear or whatever else you’re feeling aside. Get counseling, join a support group, spend time with family/friends who are positive and supportive, exercise, pray, meditate. Do what makes you feel better.
- Don’t underestimate the healing power of TIME. Give yourself time to process the many emotions you’re experiencing. If possible, take time to grief the loss of your marriage BEFORE you take on the sale of your house.
- Most importantly, hire a competent and reputable Realtor® to represent you. Be honest about what you’re going through and make sure that person has experience with your type of situation.
- Remember the job of an agent representing a divorcing couple who’s not communicating well is extremely difficult! Your agent wants to help you – let him or her do the job and don’t make it harder than it needs to be.
- When preparing a house for sale, do your best to camouflage a divorce situation – they’re typically quite easy to identify. Buyers who suspect a divorce may assume a financial hardship exists, which can cause them to try to take advantage of the situation and make a low-ball offer they would not have otherwise made.
I can provide you with the professional support you need to help you and your family make good decisions when it comes to selling your home because of divorce. Just give me a call at 604-816-9604 and let me help ease your mind with a concrete action plan that will help sell your home quickly and for top dollar.